Earth Partnership for Schools
WOODLAND RESTORATION INTERACTIVE WORKSHOP > HOW TO RESTORE WOODLAND AT YOUR SCHOOL > SELECT WOODLAND MODELS TO RESTORE > A GOOD FIT
- Results of your site analysis.
- Map of Wisconsin showing the floristic provinces.
- Woodland Community Models .
- Woodland model selection activity sheet .
- List the results of your site analysis on the woodland model selection sheet.
- Using the woodland community model forms, determine which environmental characteristics match the results of your site analysis. For instance, if your school is located in Bayfield county of northern Wisconsin, has moist but well-drained, loamy soil on gently rolling topography, you might select a northern mesic forest consisting of maple, hemlock, and yellow birch. In southern Wisconsin your schoolyard may possess a south-facing, gravelly ridge covered with gray dogwood and sumac in which case a dry forest of white and black oaks would be suitable or a prairie.
- If your site is drastically altered due to construction, or degraded from compaction, erosion problems, or excess salt, you will need to adjust your model to fit the current site conditions.
- If you find that there are several different woodland models that match your site, it may mean you have a site with specific areas each with different conditions or a situation with a combination of conditions not typical to one woodland community. A site with diverse areas may be planted with more than one woodland community. If you have a site that doesn't easily fit one woodland type, you may need to consult with an expert or determine which community will best survive the site's conditions. It may be helpful to research individual plants in the database to further refine you decision.
- Your choice of a community model is a pivotal step in the restoration; nevertheless, you may modify your selection as you observe the progress of your restoration. Once planted, you will notice that some species will survive and reproduce while others will not. Monitoring your planting will help you to fine tune your selection.