Earth Partnership for Schools
WOODLAND RESTORATION INTERACTIVE WORKSHOP > HOW TO RESTORE WOODLAND AT YOUR SCHOOL > STUDY THE SITE > PRESENT DAY FEATURES
When planning a restoration project, it is important to consider the human landscape on and off the site and future plans for building expansions, parking areas, and athletic fields. Many aspects of the human landscape are already included on your original base map. Using your base map and walking the site, ask these following questions:
- Where does water drain from the roof?
- Where are water sources for irrigation?
- What are future plans for new construction?
- Look for views off the property that you would rather not see.
- Look for views that are important or pleasant to see.
- What are the views from the classroom windows?
- What are the traffic patterns during and after school?
- What are the uses during and after school?
- Where are informal (unplanned) pathways?
- What is the width, turning radius, and mowing height of mowers?